Stir-fries are the perfect invitation to get creative with healthy plant foods in the kitchen! This time around, we opted for three simple, delicious ingredients: chickpeas (which has protein and iron), red onions (with their heart-healthy quercetin and high calcium content), and tomatoes (packed with their cancer-fighting antioxidant lycopene)!
We decided to go minimal with the herbs and spices, using only dried oregano, a bay leaf, garlic, salt, and pepper as our seasoning. Afterward, we paired it with a bed of fluffy fiber-filled quinoa! However, you can use whatever grain or starchy vegetables you have in your pantry.
If you’re going oil-free with this one, make sure to cook your veggies in 1/4 cup vegetable broth instead of olive oil. Some of the liquid will absorb into the chickpeas. Otherwise, check out our complete recipe here:
Chickpea Onion Tomato Stir-Fry Recipe
- Heat a saucepan over your stovetop, and when hot, add your olive oil.
- Sautée your onions in the pan for about 3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Toss in your tomatoes and garlic. Stir lightly, and let cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add your herbs (bay leaf and oregano/coriander), and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then, add your chickpeas, and let simmer for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then serve over quinoa, brown rice, or whatever you have available in your pantry.