Growing up as a vegetarian, my parents always ordered ginger tofu for me at Chinese restaurants. I remember the taste being so different than anything I’d ever tried before! And when it was served over some rice and broccoli, I remember being in absolute heaven!
The savory, sweet, sour flavors in this ginger tofu are so amazing that I’m sure this will turn into one of your favorites. We cannot get enough of this dish at our home!
There’s only one ingredient in this recipe you’ll have to watch out for: the hoisin sauce. In order to ensure yours is vegan, check the ingredients list for fish/oyster sauce. If it contains this commonly used ingredient, it is not vegan. Additionally, it may contain artificial colors and caramel color (which are sometimes considered non-vegan, as they are associated with animal testing). However, you can find plenty of brands of completely vegan hoisin sauce nowadays, so don’t sweat it! Two popular brands are: Kikkoman Hoisin Sauce and Wok Mei All Natural Hoisin Sauce.
We started out by prepping our sauce. Though we call this recipe “Ginger Tofu,” this sauce is the real showstopper. We used hoisin sauce, soy sauce, dry Sherry vinegar, maple syrup, vegetable broth, arrowroot powder (you can easily sub this one with cornstarch) and some red pepper flakes (for a little spice – omit this ingredient if you don’t like spicy foods).
We then moved on to cooking it all up, so we heated up a saucepan over our stovetop. After chopping up our tofu and garlic, and grating our ginger, we tossed our ginger and garlic into the hot pan. After sautéing these together for one minute, we added the sauce mixture, and let that thicken for another minute. Finally, we added the tofu to the sauce, and covered it in the sauce. After a few more minutes, it was ready to be enjoyed by the whole family!
If your mouth is watering already, don’t wait a minute more! Here’s our full recipe:
Ginger Tofu Recipe
- Medium mixing bowl
- Chopping board
- 1 package firm tofu
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp ginger grated
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp dry sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- In a mixing bowl, combine broth, hoisin sauce, sherry, arrowroot, soy sauce, maple syrup and red peppers.
- Heat a saucepan over your stovetop, and prep your tofu, ginger, and garlic. Then, add your ginger and garlic to the preheated pan. Sautée them together for 1 minute.
- Add your sauce to the pan, and let simmer for 1 minute. Then, add your tofu and let cook for another few minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Then, cover your tofu in the sauce.
- Serve hot over rice, and garnish with a few cilantro leaves. Enjoy!