If you’ve ever tried Mexican pickled onions, you get the hype. They’re incredibly versatile, flavorful, and are delicious in gyros, bowls; especially tacos! We love adding them to our family taco nights.
This recipe is incredibly simple and contains no hard-to-find ingredients! We start by chopping up 2 medium red onions into thin slices (the thinner, the better!). We made our brine out of vinegar, water, salt, oregano, and one bay leaf.
We then stored our mixture in a mason jar and closed the lid tightly with the lime juice. We let it sit at room temperature for about an hour, then stored in the fridge to enjoy over our yummy tacos. It should keep for a couple weeks!
- Mixing bowl
- Medium Pot
- Mason jar
- 2 medium red onions
- 2 limes juiced
- 1 tsp oregano (or cilantro)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- Finely slice your onions.
- Bring your water, vinegar, herbs, and salt to a boil. Then, turn off the heat and add the onions.
- Let the mixture cool completely.
- Drain the liquid, and store the onions in a jar with a bit of lime juice. Cover tightly with the lid and let it sit in room temperature for about an hour. Then, enjoy over your tacos!