We believe hot chocolate can be delicious and healthy! For instance, we love pairing it with turmeric, creating an antioxidant-filled combo.
Turmeric also has incredible anti-inflammatory properties. We like to combine it with black pepper, which contains the bioactive compound “piperine”. This makes the turmeric more bioavailable. So not only does is this combination healthy, the subtle kick in the pepper will take your drink to the next level!
Therefore, we’ve come up with a simple recipe combining all three ingredients. Have it in the morning to set the tone for the day, or at night, so you can wind down under warm, cozy blankets.
Healthy Non-Dairy Turmeric Hot Chocolate
- Medium Pot
- 3/4 cups coconut milk full-fat
- 2 1/4 cups soy milk (or low-fat plant milk of choice)
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder unsweetened
- 3 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- Heat a medium pot, and add the turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and 1/4 cup of coconut milk. Whisk together until all lumps disappear.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook over low heat for about 4 minutes.
- Strain your hot chocolate into 2 mugs, and enjoy!