Ah, vegan blueberry muffins. A breakfast classic! Muffins have always been a favorite of mine, and I’ve been really craving them recently. That’s why this weekend I decided it would be fun project to put a plant-based spin on these sweet treats! Here’s how it all went down:
I started off by thinking of all the things that make up a great muffin– it’s gotta be moist, a bit tart and sweet (but not overly sweet), and soft, but a bit dense at the same time. In order to achieve the perfect texture, we decided on coconut oil! It’s dense enough to create a firm texture, but still allows for a bit of fluffiness. For sweetness, we used regular sugar.
First, we heated our oven to 400ºF (204ºC) and lined our muffin tin with muffin cups. Then, we grabbed 2 large bowls from our cupboards: 1 for dry ingredients and 1 for wet ingredients. Simple, right?
We tossed in our flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in one of the bowls. We whisked all of them together until well combined. Then, we tossed our milk, oil, vanilla extract, and lemon juice in the other bowl, making sure everything was well incorporated. Finally, we slowly poured the wet ingredients into the dry ones, mixing everything together.
Once we had the batter, it was time to gently fold in the blueberries and pour it into the muffin cups! We used frozen bloobs, which may have contributed to the sweets’ bluish tint, but you can use fresh ones if you’d like your muffins to have a more classic golden brown color.
Finally, we sat around twirling our fingers as we waited anxiously for 20 minutes as they baked. We couldn’t wait to try these!
Some more vegan dessert recipes:
You’re gonna love these vegan blueberry muffins! They are so soft, luscious, and buttery even without the butter! They didn’t last long in our kitchen. Devoured immediately! Here’s the full recipe:
Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- 2 large mixing bowls
- Muffin tin
- 6 muffin cups
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup soy milk unsweetened, unflavored
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 cups blueberries frozen or fresh
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF or 204ºC. Line a muffin tin with muffin cups.
- Mix all your dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix wet ingredients in the other bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients until well incorporated and not too many lumps.
- Fold in your blueberries and pour your mixture into the muffin cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Let cool completely (10-15 minutes) and enjoy your delicious muffins!
Tell us what you thought of our recipe in the comments section! Do you like to enjoy muffins with coffee or tea? I’m a tea gal, but Emmanuel loves coffee!