In India, chai tea is a milky, spicy drink made from black tea leaves; a combination of spices with deep, earthy flavors; and sugar. In the West, we’ve fallen in love, but sometimes our local cafe versions don’t cut it when compared to the original. If you want the real deal, then keep reading! We’re sharing with you our authentic vegan chai latte recipe.
Dairy-Free Chai Tea
- Medium Pot
- 1 cups water filtered
- 2 cup almond milk unsweetened (or non-dairy milk of your choice)
- 2 tbsp black tea loose leaves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp ginger grated or dried
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp cardamom ground
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 star anise
- 3 tsp sugar
- Boil your water and non-dairy milk in a medium-sized pot.
- Stir in spices and let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add tea, and boil on low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn off the stove, and strain your tea evenly into cups. Then, add sugar to taste.