Your friends and family will be begging you for more of this decadent plant-based chocolate goodness! Not only is it delicious, it’s also free from cholesterol and lower in fat. Top this beautiful dessert with strawberries, dark chocolate chips, or sliced almonds for an extra special touch.
- 2 8" baking pans
- 2 large mixing bowls
- 1 small mixing bowl
- Whisk or spoon
- 1 1/4 cup soy milk (or plant milk of choice)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 1/4 cup soy yogurt vanilla
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 2 bars dark chocolate (or 200g dark chocolate chips) crushed
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp instant coffee grounds
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cups cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp vegan butter (or vegetable shortening)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place cocoa powder and sugar in a small/medium bowl, and slowly add the vegan butter, 1 tbsp at a time. Add more butter if necessary. Let your icing cool in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF or 176ºC.
- Combine all dry ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a large mixing bowl, and whisk together.
- Combine all wet ingredients in another large bowl, and mix well. Then, pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Whisk the mixture lightly, just until fully incorporated. Then, fold in the crushed chocolate.
- Grease 2 8" baking pans, and pour in your batter. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until they pass the "toothpick test": Place a toothpick in the cakes, and if it comes out dry, they're ready.
- Let your cakes cool completely (about 30 minutes). Then, carefully remove from pans, cut off the dome from one of them and add your icing over top. Add the second cake layer and cover the entire cake in icing. Enjoy!