You may be thinking, veggies in a cake? We were skeptical as well. However, this vegan chocolate zucchini cake is decadent with added moisture, texture, and nutrition! It was so delicious that it lasted no more than 2 days in our home (even though we ended up adding a bit too much zucchini, oops!).
We started off by mixing all the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder, and baking soda – together in a large bowl. We then made a small hole in the middle of the mix, and added some unsweetened apple sauce, soy milk, and coconut oil. We whisked all the ingredients together, while our oven was preheating to 350ºF (180ºC).
We transferred our cake to a greased bundt pan, and poured the mixture in, making sure it was level. We popped it into the oven for 50 minutes, and proceeded to create our luscious chocolate glaze. To do so, we first heated some soy milk in a pan. We then added some maple syrup and vegan chocolate chips. We let it alll melt in the pan, whisking occasionally, and turned off the heat.
When our cake was ready, we let it cool for about 15 minutes before flipping it over, removing the pan, and smothering our fluffy, moist vegan dessert with our smooth, creamy chocolate glaze.
Ready to try it out? Here’s the full recipe! Make sure to tell us what you thought in the comments below!
- Bundt pan
- Medium Pot
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 3 cups flour all-purpose
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup apple sauce unsweetened
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchini shredded
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 6 oz. dairy-free chocolate chips
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF or 180ºC. Grease your bundt pan.
- Shred 2 cups of zucchini into a bowl. Set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder – together in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a small hole in the middle of the dry mix, and add the wet ingredients.
- Whisk all ingredients together until no lumps are left.
- Fold the zucchini into your cake batter and pour it all into the greased bundt pan.
- Place your cake in the oven and let cook for about 50 minutes. When you're about to take it out, make sure to insert a toothpick. If it comes out dry, it's ready. If not, give it another 5 minutes.
- When out of the stove, let it cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Heat a medium pot on your burner.
- Add your soy milk and maple syrup. Once the milk is hot, pour in your chocolate chips.
- Whisk all ingredients together until fully melted.
- Pour your glaze over the chocolate cake, and enjoy!