What some would call the original vegan “chicken nugget”, this Mediterranean treat is perfect in almost any lunch. However, we recommend you try them in gyros, salads, or on their own. And don’t forget to pair with hummus!
- Blender or Food Processor (Preferably the latter)
- Frying Pan
- 1/3 lb chickpeas (dry, not cooked or canned)
- 1 tbsp flour white, all-purpose
- 1/3 small white onion
- 1/4 bunch flat leaf parsley chopped, fresh
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- vegetable oil for frying (they may be baked as well; instructions available in notes)
- Soak chickpeas in water overnight. Cover in extra water, as they will double in size.
- Rinse chickpeas, and pour into food processor along with the rest of the ingredients (except oil).
- Pulse all ingredients together, until a paste is formed. Make sure all ingredients are well incorporated, and that the mixture holds together. However, it should not be creamy. Add more flour if necessary.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into 2-inch balls. Then, cover in plastic and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- Heat and grease a pan with plenty of light vegetable oil. Carefully place your pre-shaped falafel balls in the hot oil. Flatten a bit with a spatula, and cook until golden brown on each side. Make sure they're not too close together when frying.
- Let cool on a cooling rack or over a paper towel on a dry plate.
- Serve with traditional creamy hummus, and enjoy!