I know I’m not the only one who craves a warm, toasty quesadilla every once in a while. The healthy version of these cheesy, comforting pockets of yum are stuffed with veggies, beans, and all sorts of important nutrients!
We started by mashing up our cannellini beans and sprinkling on some nutritional yeast (Red Star brand is a great source of B12!), chili powder, and Bragg’s 24 Herbs & Spices blend (every spice has its own health benefit so I like using this mix which has 24 different herbs so I get all the benefits of spices without breaking my head figuring which spice does what). You can create your own spice blend with herbs and spices you enjoy – we suggest cilantro, oregano, lemon peel, turmeric, and paprika)
We then started frying up some onions and garlic, and sautéed these two together for about 3 minutes. We then added some diced tomatoes and kale and sautéed for another minute or two.
Next, we added our cheesy bean mixture (the nutritional yeast gives it that cheese flavor) to our veggies, and sautéed everything together for another couple of minutes, or until all ingredients were well incorporated.
Finally, we warmed up our tortilla in another pan, and added our bean and veggie mixture. We let the tortilla sit for a while, then folded it over. Then, we flipped them over to the other side until it was golden brown and a bit crispy. We repeated this with our other tortillas, until the mixture was completely used up.
This recipe is perfect for any day of the week, as it’s low-fat and high in fiber! And with the kale, nutritional yeast, and beans, it’s a nutrient dense meal for the whole family. Check out the full recipe below and try it out!
- 2 saucepans
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups kale
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp spice blend (we used Bragg's 24 Herbs & Spices, but you can create your own with ingredients you enjoy)
- 4 tortillas whole grain
- Chop up your onions, garlic, and tomato, and set aside.
- Heat up a saucepan on your stovetop.
- Toss your cannellini beans into a large mixing bowl, and mas with a fork or a potato masher. Then, add nutritional yeast, chili powder, and your spice blend. Mix all ingredients together.
- Grease your heated pan with olive oil and sautée your onions and garlic for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and kale, and keep stirring on low heat for about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, start heating another saucepan for your tortillas.
- Add your bean mixture, and mix in with the veggies, until everything is well incorporated.
- Turn off the heat, and set your quesadilla mixture aside.
- Begin warming up your tortilla, then add the mixture to half of the tortilla. Let sit for about 30 seconds, then fold the empty half over the mixture. Flip a few times until it's a bit golden brown and crispy on both sides.
- Cut into triangle shapes and serve with some salsa or pico de gallo! Enjoy!